Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Tragedy Knocked Out by Pratibha










For Pratibha, getting to MITS/Lakshmangarh was a 'tragedy'. She writes about how everythings has changed since then and the wonderful times she has had in her very first year here.



After wasting (my present perception!), a whole, long year and my parent’s valuable money at Resonance Coaching Institute, Kota after XII, I was left with two alternatives in my bag ,out of which only one was going to decide my future –counseling letters from SRM University ,Chennai & MITS, Lakshmangarh (although RPET Counseling was also there but I had sidelined it a long ago!). As my hopes of making it through IIT died a long and all the high spirits faded away slowly from my mind ,I was still damn sure to get admission at SRM University irrespective of whatever stream was assigned to me according to my eligibility(after all it was all about staying in a metro city!!). And thus I was there at SRM campus(yippy!!!) and to my utmost satisfaction I gladly ended up getting entrance in Bio-technology branch, instead of my zero interest in biology ,along with my cousin sister who was awarded with Electronics and Communication Engineering.

The college was such that the students were dying to get in -the enviable infrastructure...fascinating laboratories ...pollution-free environment ...alluring placement packages...And what not!! You just name it and they have it .I was overflowing with joy .It was like a dream come true .We had a great time there.

After returning from Chennai I came to realize that the stars high in the sky were writing a totally different chapter for me...family discussions ,well wishers’ advices, granny’s pressure, destiny ,chance ,luck ..all ended up dumping admission at SRM University and my dreams shattered like anything!!

Moreover, call it my bad luck or simply my fate...I was here...at MITS...in the small sleepy town of Lakshmangarh. Believe me, even in my wildest dream I never thought that such tragedy would happen to me...I would end up taking admission in an all-girls-college!!! However, that is life dears and that is how it goes on…

To tell you the truth the only thing that was in my mind when I came here(MITS) for the first time was that what the hell was the use of dropping a whole crap year when I could have made it here the previous year without wasting my precious time and money!! Nevertheless, such nonsense talks were of no use now as the time has flown away with its wings.

At that instant I really regretted coming to such an isolated place which seemed to me as a hub of different buildings –hostel buildings, school building, college buildings, a splendid mess and cafeteria, and many others which I could not specify .The infrastructure was not that bad and the counselling session also went nicely .So at last I made-up my mind to spend the four glorious years of my life here at MITS.
Thus my college life began in August-07 .the days were simply passing by when one day I came to know about the sports society of MITS and the sports in which the girls were trained here...and naturally volleyball lured in my interest as I had played a little bit of volley in my XII std. (that too as physical education was one of my electives!!) .So to make some constructive use of my time and to remain physically fit I started to play Volleyball regularly. It was great fun there –Ramesh Sir, Ram pal Sir, our so-called bosses who were more like our pals, some batch mates…I was enjoying each and every moment. Other essential stuff (quizzes, practicals, sessionals, proxies, mass bunks) went side by side…after all we were pursuing engineering. here.

All was going well –it seemed not to me but all others as deep inside my heart there was still a lot of pain for getting through any IIT or NIT but one day when our bosses told us that we were going to take part in UDGHOSH’07 (annual sports meet of IIT-K!!) then I was in a kind of state of relief as the thought of visiting the IIT-K campus comforted my healing soul…and thus it was UDGHOSH’07 –the awesome event loaded with lifetime memories.

After the splendid success of MITS sports team at Udghosh’07 then came the turn of SPARDHA’08 ,the annual sporting festival of IT-BHU gymkhana…that also proved to be another gem in the crown for MITSIANS as it also showered loads of medals and trophies…

So here are the two major events of my very first year at MITS….




UDGHOSH’07: mayhem for victory

On 19th of September 07 a group of about 37 girls headed by our faculty members: Anil J B Sir, Ramesh Sir and Neha ma’m, boarded a bus to Jaipur railway station and from there a train to Kanpur. The journey was full of fun.

We reached there on 20th morning and went to the campus on a college bus. After reaching the campus, we headed straight to the registration counter SAC (Student Activity Centre) to get our room allocated and that came out to be
the common room of the girls’ hostel.

On our way to the hostel, we could not help appreciating the color and excitement all around. The wall paintings at the SAC were definitely masterpiece of their own kind and were truly eye catching and so was the crowd there. As it was my First experience of an inter-college sports meet, I was feeling fantastic.

After getting fresh, we all headed for the canteen with our empty stomachs, as all of us were damn hungry. From there we went to explore the campus and came to know that the campus consisted of four playing grounds out of which two were cricket grounds, one football and last was hockey ground. Adjoining the main ground were two volleyball courts and on the opposite side were two basketball courts complete with night-lights and seating facility. There was also an indoor compact stadium with two badminton courts and opposite to it was an up-to-date gymnasium. A tennis complex with four tennis courts equipped with central lightening was also there. Then I realized the big difference between being an IITIN and not being the one.

After that short visit, we went to the central ground where the inaugural ceremony marked the official beginning of the sports fest. There were around 800 participants from different colleges across the country and all were so much excited to participate and win in their respective sports...

At the end of the sports meet, awarded with the most prestigious trophy of “The Best Outstation Team”, along with “the best athletics team”, and “the champion’s trophy" in lawn tennis and badminton, the girls really had enough reasons to cheer for!

The girls bagged 33 medals in total with 14 gold medals and the remaining silvers and bronzes. The Basketball team emerged as the runner-up after giving a worthy fight to the competitors in the finals. Two girls also bagged silver medals in the informal events (slow cycling and chess).

The MITSIANS left an everlasting impression not only on the referees but also on the audience, so it hardly comes to a surprise that even the hosts outstretched their continuous support against their home team. All the surroundings echoed with hoots like “MODEEE……MODEE!!” and many more.

The days passed with a blink of an eye and the nights with a flash and thus the journey ended as we headed back to MITS on 23rd (tough none of us wanted to!) capturing the unforgettable moments we spent there in our hearts forever…

Even today, when I think about those wonderful days I just cannot resist remembering our so dear Anil JB Sir who was always so nice to us during the whole trip and even at the college… We really miss you a lot, sir!


SPARDHA’08 : reckoning tracks, awaiting glory

The memorable journey began at the meeting point of Jaipur railway station on fifth march when a group of 35 girls along with Ramesh Sir, Paras Sir, Subhash Sir, and Alpana M’am boarded a train to the holy city, Varanasi.

The journey was a great fun. While I was quite busy with my novel (though our mid-terms were scheduled on 15th!), others were busy playing antakshari (or call it a cacophony competition!) and chatting with our faculty members who lately became our gang members. It was so wonderful knowing our teachers so closely!

We reached varanasi on 6th noon. It was then that I came to know that the campus spread over unending greenery was one of the biggest campuses in Asia land wise...

After waiting for an hour or two to be registered, we headed to our allotted accommodation that was some sort of staff quarter. After placing our luggage we rushed to the mess as all of us were so much hungry but we were very disappointed to know that there was no food for us in the stores and we ended up eating maggie!!

Then it was turn to line up for the bathrooms, as we had to get ready quickly for the basketball match scheduled in the evening. After that we went to the basky court to hoot for our team and meanwhile we came to know that the campus had seven or 8 different playgrounds, an indoor stadium, one basketball court, two volleyball and tennis courts each... Moreover, the campus also had the Vishwanath Temple, which we visited on our last day at the campus...

With the arduous efforts of the sports team, the girls managed to get an attractive cluster of 49 medals with 28 gold, 20 silver & 1 bronze medals. To add to the laurels to MITS the sports team bagged the fascinating “The Best Outstation Team” trophy along with “the champion’s trophy” in volleyball, tennis & badminton. To get the adrenalin rushing, our sports queens also bagged the trophies for best athlete, best volleyball player and best badminton player.

The basketball team stood at second place after being defeated in the neck-to-neck finals. The athletics team also bagged 17 medals and proved their worth.

Thus, MITSIANS have outdated their forerunners in terms of surpassing all the previous records... The days passed in nanoseconds and before we realized it was the last day of our trip. During our journey back home, we realized that we were out of time to prepare for the upcoming sessionals!

The workload seemed never-ending to me and I was in no condition of studying after such a tiring journey. Thus, days passed by and so the exams that went worst as hell…and such were the marks obtained!!

Now, worries apart. In nutshell, I am going to cherish these experiences forever and I hope I get similar chances in the following years…………..

No comments: